Grooming – Step by Step Guide
A simple step by step guide to grooming a horse using the winning formula, Black Caviar grooming range.
Grooming your horse regularly will enable to you to keep your horse’s coat and hooves in good condition as well as monitor your horse’s health.
- Gather your 9-piece grooming kit, containing hoof pick, curry comb, stiff and soft-bristled brushes, comb and towel and prepare a safe grooming area.
- Put a halter on the horse and secure him in cross ties or tether him in your grooming area using a quick release knot.
- Pick up each hoof in turn and, using a hoof pick, remove all dirt and debris from the hooves, checking for loose shoes and lost nails.
- With curry in one hand and a stiff-bristled brush in the other, begin behind the ears and brush the entire coat to remove dirt.
- After every few strokes with the brush, use the curry to remove loose hair and dirt from the brush.
- Use a soft brush, begin behind the ears again and brush with the coat to remove any remaining dust.
- Be sure to brush the entire body and use hand while brushing to feel for lumps, bumps and cuts.
- Using a small, soft brush, brush the face.
- Spray Silky detangler spray on mane and tail.
- Use brush, comb and/or fingers to untangle mane and tail.
- Use towel, and Coat Gloss to give a final polish to the coat.
- Apply your choice of Eco Hoof Black, Hoof Enamel or Farrier’s Choice hoof conditioner.
Washing your horse
- Wet the horse, apply Black Caviar Herbal Shampoo to the body brush with sponge and scrub all over, then rinse.
- Apply Black Caviar Herbal Conditioner with the body brush with sponge, then rinse.
- Remove excess water with the scraper.
- Dry horse off with a towel.
- Once dry, apply Black Caviar Coat Gloss.