Tips For Waterproofing Leather
Leather is considered to be one of the most popular materials when it comes to clothing, shoes, jackets, accessories, and similar items. Due to the fact that it is so popular, it can be quite costly. In order to ensure that the leather products you own have an increased lifespan, it is often necessary to perform some basic maintenance. One of the most common ways to increase the life of this particular material is to waterproof it. It is a known fact that leather does not hold up well once it has been exposed to moisture. The main reason for this is because water actually strips away the natural oils and chemicals that give leather the soft, yet durable, characteristics. Here, you will be introduced to the method of waterproofing leather.
Many are quite surprised to know that their leather can be protected by waterproofing it. These individuals have often experienced the remnants of a leather piece that has been dampened by moisture. They know that moisture often causes the leather piece to stain, become dry, and lose its overall durability.
Joseph Lyddy has an entire product range to assist with leather care, conditioning and waterproofing to those who wish to add value to their leather goods by protecting them from the water that it may come in contact with.
These products work by simply coating the product with a form of a shield that will block out moisture. These protective coats not only guard against moisture, but they also help in increasing the overall value of the product and protecting the unique workmanship and craft that was placed in the product.
There are many different types of leather. They are as follows:
- Full Grain
- Top Grain
(For further information on Types of leather, finishes and suggested care)
When you are considering waterproofing leather, it is an absolute must to know what type of leather that you are working with. There are delicate leathers, and tough leathers. There are “processed” leathers, and “pure” leathers. It is important to know and understand the type of leather that you are using simply because some of the waterproofing products that are available are not suitable for all types of leather. Generally, you can find out what kind of leather you are working with by examining any tags in or on the merchandise. If you are unsure, you should consult a professional leather worker. These individuals will be able to specify exactly what you are dealing with.
Then, when you buy your waterproofing product, simply read the label to ensure it is compatible with your product. Joseph Lyddy have complete descriptions of each product outlined on this website.
It is typical to find waterproofing products that come in a spray form, and those that come in a type of oil form. If you are implementing the use of a spray, you should adhere to the following guidelines:
1) You should start by cleaning the leather product with a soft cloth that will not scratch the surface of the product. It is important that you do not place water or other chemicals on the cloth as you clean the leather. The cloth should be completely dry.
2) The next step is to take the waterproofing spray that you will use and hold is about half a foot away from the product. You should then spray it evenly across the leather material. Once the complete product is done, you can then allow it to dry completely.
If you are using an oil-based product for waterproofing leather, you should adhere to the following steps:
1) You should wipe down the leather product to ensure that all traces of foreign matter are completely eliminated. Most individuals use a leather working brush for this.
2) The next thing that you should do is apply directly to your leather the waterproofing product. It is important to stay balanced while doing this. All areas should be coated and worked evenly.
3) Ally the waterproofer to dry. You can continue using the leather product within twenty-four hours.
Waterproofing leather is a relatively simple process that generally only requires a working knowledge of the type of leather product you are dealing with, and compatible waterproofing products. However, it is important to also know and understand how to apply the product. If you want to ensure that you are properly maintaining your leather, and extending the life of the piece, it is important to waterproof on a regular basis.
You will find the complete range of Joseph Lyddy waterproofing products here.